Saturday, February 13, 2010

Snow in Charleston!

During the late afternoon yesterday, it started snowing! The excitement in Charleston was palpable. Schools let out early and everyone was talking about the weather.

I had to go pick up my laptop from Jason Charles, the Daniel Island Computer Doctor, and had so much fun bundling up and walking through the snowflakes. I thought that I’d pick up some carryouts from Wasabi (my favorite sushi place) and hit Daniel Island Wine and Spirits to see if the helpful folks there could help me decipher what was in an “Orange Blossom” ~ a tasty drink that I tried last month.

What was fun and charming earlier quickly became a frustration as dozens of residents descended on the Publix parking lot. It was getting dark and many were not used to driving in snow (which had now turned to freezing rain). I’ve never understood why grocery stores run out of bread when it snows. There are many things that I’m sure that I would need if we were stuck in the house for a day or two. Milk, water, batteries — those are the items that come to mind for me!

The snow accumulated through the night. Colin and Davis spent the night with Grammie and Poppy (still on DI) so we didn’t get to play in the snow with them :( . They had a great time and were still out playing at 10:00 at night! They usually go to sleep by 8 so I hope they slept in a little bit for the grandparents.

Chad and I showed Miles the snow and we watched in awe as our neighborhood turned into a wonderland. Grammie sent us photos of the boys making a snowman. It was as tall as Colin and even had a carrot nose! They built it outside the condo on Island Park Drive and several people stopped and took photos of it. The boys were so proud!

 

Once we put Miles to bed, Chad and I sat by the fire and played Scrabble. We would go outside every few minutes and watch the snow. It was a cozy feeling to be inside where it was warm.

It’s now Saturday morning and the snow is already melting. It was fun to see our world transformed by a blanket of snow but we’re thankful that we will probably be back in short sleeves by next weekend.

[Via http://danielislandliving.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment