Saturday, February 27, 2010

Swing For The Fences

Today is a special day. Our family, Eric, Lindy, and Jess are in town and will come watch Jake’s last basketball game of the season. Perhaps they’ll make it to his baseball practice, too, but I’m not sure.

When Jake woke up this morning, he immediately ate his breakfast, and asked if he could sneak in a game or two on the Wii. I thought, “why not?”, and there he sits playing Mario Kart. He loves that game. I may have a future NASCAR driver in the family.

While playing, I asked if he is excited about the aforementioned family members coming to watch his game. With the smile we have all come to love, he shyly said “yes”. I asked if he wanted them to come to his baseball practice, too, and the most amazing thing came out his mouth. “I hope so—and if they do, I’ll swing for the fences!”. After a brief second or two to allow my brain to catch up to what he just said, I asked where he heard that before.

“I just thought of it, Daddy” he said as he kept his eyes on his game. Then he said: “You always tell me to do my best and have fun, so I’ll swing for the fences all the time”.

God I love my son. I hope he always swings for the fences in everything he does. With his heart and passion I don’t think anything can stand in his way. At least I hope not.

Six years old, and he amazes me every single day with his words and/or actions. Yes, I am a biased father, and damn proud of it, but there is a part of me that looks at him objectively to see his strengths and opportunities; I mean, we all have them. I struggle with determining strengths and opportunities for him since he is only six. I don’t want to be that parent that pushes too hard, but it is a challenge not to. I see so much potential in my buddy.

Well, time to get ready for basketball and baseball. Here’s to Jake’s last basketball game of the season, him helping his team win (not that they keep score at this age), and watching him “swing for the fences”.

I still cannot believe he said that this morning. Then again he does or says something often that surprises me, and I hope I never get used to it.

[Via http://jakewpatrick.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment