Thursday, November 19, 2009

What Exactly Are We Preparing Children For?

When I look out across the classroom at all my enthusiastic little workers, it saddens me to think that in a few years’ time they will very likely dislike school (to put it mildly) and its rigid, test-driven dogma.  I’m curious why some parents, in whose hands rests the quality of their children’s education, choose to turn a blind eye towards the abominable amounts of homework and one-size-fits-all teaching style of our current public (and even some private) schools.

Lest I get bombarded with more grumpy comments, I must point out that every day more and more parents are choosing alternative methods of education for their children, from pre-school through the high school years, including home schooling.  Though increasing yearly, this number is still minuscule and not reflective of the general population’s school experience.  Fortunately, not everyone is staying silent.  Here’s a film we should all watch, although I fear it may bring up more questions than answers…

No comments:

Post a Comment