Thursday, January 14, 2010

Choices

About a week ago, Everett’s Bible curriculum presented a lesson on making choices.  Everett started the lesson on his own, but when he decided to ask a question, I was quickly drawn in to studying with him.  This was because I found it interesting and good.  We continued reading the lesson, looking up Scripture, answering questions, and my favorite part, discussing all we were studying and what we knew to be true on this subject.

As we were winding the discussion down, I mentioned to Everett how much I liked that lesson and how grateful I was to have had it that day.  “Are you gonna blog about it?”  This kid knows me so well.

I confessed that I probably would blog about this lesson, acknowledging that his first clue to my intentions was my making a copy of the lesson for my own use before anything was written on it.  I haven’t gotten around to it yet due to extreme lack of extra time, and consequently Everett asked again if I ever blogged about his lesson that we liked so much.

You’ve probably noticed that I have a pattern of posting verses from the book of Proverbs whose chapter coincides with the date.  I read a chapter of Proverbs every morning to keep the wisdom found there fresh on my mind.  So today as I read the 14th chapter of Proverbs, my thoughts were drawn to the same subject of Everett’s recent lesson, making choices.

Life is full of choices.  I make choices for myself.  As a parent I make many choices concerning the well-being of my children.  Some choices seem simple.  Some seem extremely difficult.  But the basic principles found in the truth of the Bible for making choices apply to every one of them.  If I act upon these truths by obeying God’s Word, I will find security and live in a way that is pleasing to God, and therefore bring him glory.

To begin with I’ll share the verses I read this morning which spoke to me about choices.

Leave the presence of a fool, for there you do not meet words of knowledge.  The wisdom of the prudent is to discern his way, but the folly of fools is deceiving.  Proverbs 14:7-8

The simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps.  One who is wise is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is reckless and careless.  Proverbs 14:15-16

Wisdom rests in the heart of a man of understanding, but it makes itself known even in the midst of fools.  Proverbs 14:33

I have to keep in mind that every word of God is true.  I must take Scripture for what it is worth without ignoring even one syllable.  I’m going to use these verses to strengthen me and give me confidence in what God will have me choose.

I hate to close without completing my thoughts on this subject, but it is time to begin our school day.  Besides, I have a daughter who told me she doesn’t have time to read my blog posts because they are too long.  I think maybe it’s because she’s not interested.  That’s a joke, because I’ve already teased her about it.  She is not required to read or agree with anything I write.  I’ll still feed her and give her a roof over her head.  So I’m going to get to the rest of the Bible verses I want to share in another post as time permits.  The same daughter doesn’t really like blogging in series, either, but I can’t make everybody happy.  I just have to do what I have to do.

[Via http://mamaangela.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment