Saturday, January 16, 2010

Korean friends meet the Lincoln Saltdog's Mascot

The summer of 2006 was one I will never forget. It was the summer that I spent a lot of time with my Korean friends whether it was tutoring children, meeting with my friends for a picnic or other gathering, and of course the death and funeral of my friend In Keun Choi. In Keun’s wife had a cousin come to Lincoln as a visiting research scholar for one year. Dr. Jung and hiw family were here for a year they never expected before they came because In Keun was not diagnosed until February 2006 and Dr. Jung and his family came in August 2005.

me with Dr. Jung and his family at my churchI had the privilege of tutoring his children Ashley, Christine and Tony the year they were here. They are very intelligent children and I enjoyed teaching them. For that year I  looked forward to going to their apartment every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon to teach them English. I also looked forward to joining them for dinner each time and eating Korean food. I learned a lot about Korea and Korean culture from Dr. Jung and his family during our times together. We also enjoyed some fun times such as a Lincoln Saltdogs Baseball Game.

Tony and Christine with the Saltdogs Mascot

Two other Korean families joined us that day whose children I also tutored. Their children also met the Saltdogs Mascot. They enjoyed that and the games area more than the actual baseball game. The adults seemed to enjoy the game. We all enjoyed spending a summer evening together at the baseball park.

Our time at the Saltdogs Baseball game was our last time have a fun activity together before Dr. Jung and his family went back to Korea. I was grateful to be able to have a fun time with them as our last memory together after a long and difficult time watching our friend In Keun die from cancer.

me with the other children I tutored at the game

[Via http://internationalmatt.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment