Thursday, January 28, 2010

Faith and the Choir

KOGIWU (ko-gee-woo) – an acronym for the Kingdom of God is Within U – a reminder that faith is an everyday journey

The other night I had the pleasure of being in the audience of my daughter’s Middle School Winter Choral Concert. She attends an Independent secular school. The program was beautifully choreographed, the high school students and middle school students performed their own songs and sang together as a group for a final Irving Berlin piece.

The songs they sang so beautifully were a mix of contemporary music along with traditional favorites. I was struck and pleasantly surprised that there were a few non-secular songs woven into the program. Joyce Eilers My Lord was sung with such enthusiasm. It was wonderful. I later learned that particular arrangement of My Lord is one of the most popular choir selections ever. I Believe from the musical Spring Awakenings was a beautiful piece that was performed and it has a very spiritual tone.

Hallelujah!, the chorus from Handel’s Messiah was the last piece the High School Concert Choir sang. The director shared with the audience that the Hallelujah! at 268 years old is the most recognized piece of music in the world.

On our ride home we talked about how interesting the trivia was about the Hallelujah! My daughter shared with me that just that night the #1 song downloaded on ITunes was a song of the same name, Hallelujah performed by Justin Timberlake and Matt Morris during the Hope for Haiti Telethon. The lyrics for this Hallelujah were written by Leonard Cohen. I thought how wonderful that Hallelujah, a word that is a thanksgiving or praise to God, has endured the popularity of so many years and now is the forefront in pop culture. That’s KOGIWU!

If you would like to learn more about KOGIWU, visit the About KOGIWU and How to Apply KOGIWU to Your Life posts on this blog.

[Via http://kogiwu.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment