Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Kids

At 22 I had my tubes tied.  I had difficulty finding a doctor that would do it.  They were all convinced that I would change my mind and eventually want kids.  I am 31 years old and have never looked back.  I wish I could have had it done before I was 22.  I remember living in fear after every sexual encounter prior to my tubal ligation that I would become pregnant and be faced with a choice.  I have always been a pro-choice person, but imagining having to make the choice myself I couldn’t imagine what I would do.  Quite frankly, I didn’t want to find out.  I try to never say never, but I really don’t anticipate ever wanting children.

I don’t think that most people understand how a young woman could possibly go against what her body was made to do; produce offspring.  I completely respect the women that make the choice to be mothers and raise productive members of society.  I think it must be one of the most difficult jobs I can think of.  I just wanted different for myself.  I would feel trapped in a job that I wouldn’t love.  I think I am meant to affect more lives than just a few.  I think I am meant to do great things with my life.  Kids just aren’t a part of that plan.

[Via http://rawcommencement.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment