Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscar Buzz

So the Academy Awards are this weekend, and I’m personally looking forward to them.  I think some really great moments are in store.  I haven’t seen all the Best Picture nominated films yet but I have seen a few of them.  I’m hoping that I’ll get the time to watch the rest soon.  I recently watched An Education, and after being slow to warm to it, actually enjoyed it and found it captured my attention from about 20 minutes into it until the end.  The story follows a 16 year old girl who meets a wealthy, older English gentleman in Britain in the 1960’s.  As a teacher I enjoyed the battle the main character faced in deciding whether she would pursue the academic life or follow her heart.  The film made me very grateful that I live in a time where women are no longer forced to decide between an education and a love life and family.   When confronted with the final decision, the Jenny is confronted by her headmistress.  She argues that she does not want to be one of the bored members of British society who have a degree.  She tells the headmistress that, “It’s not enough to educate us anymore Ms. Walters, you’ve got to tell us why you’re doing it”.  The crisis that this young woman goes through is extremely compelling, and I found that I felt nervous throughout the film.  The importance of an education and of love and fun were constantly debated, and the fear Jenny felt was palpable through the entire movie.

Earlier today I viewed another one the Best Picture nominated films, Up in the Air.  Starring George Clooney and Anna Kendrick, this film was extremely existentialist.  We as viewers were transported into the world and mind of Ryan Bingham, a “suit” who calls airports his home.  Similarly to An Education the film is based on a personal struggle.  Ryan must decide between continuing a solitary life and starting a family.  I will not give away the end of the movie.  I found that it was extremely powerful, and once again I was caught up in the story.  Unlike An Education, Up in the Air had me transfixed from the beginning.  I thought the idea was original, compelling, and well implemented.  I also enjoyed the fact that the entire movie was not serious and gloomy, but incorporated humour and love.

I would highly recommend both of these movies, as well as the other nominated films I have seen, Precious and Up.  I am in complete agreement with the Academy in terms of these choices, and I wish all the nominees luck on Sunday.  I know I`ll be watching!

[Via http://teachthemteachmyself.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment