Thursday, September 3, 2009

Letter to My Adult Children

Dear Darlings,

As hard as it is for me to believe, you are all adults now, ranging in age from 20 to 29.

Two of you are married, and three of you are in various stages of being in college. Two of you have children, two of you still “live” at home, officially, although I daresay we could call it more “sleep and do your laundry here”. One lives 1400 miles away, one about 100 miles away, one about three miles away.

When I was your age, I had gotten myself married and motherhooded, and was living my life as an adult.

I tell you all this to tell you,,,sweethearts…you have now all reached the point where you are living your own lives.

I will not always agree with the decisions you make in your lives.

Make them anyway.

I would probably make different choices than the ones you make – were I 20-29 years younger and in your shoes.

I’m not.

You are.

Lord knows, when you were growing up, you saw me make decisions and thought, “Mom, what the hell?????”

And I know in my heart of hearts that every decision I have made every day of my life – before you were born and afterwards – have been what I considered to be the best one I could make at that time and in that place.

I want you to know that I trust you to do the same.

I know the kind of people you are – deep down and at your core.

All of you – every single one – are good, honest, thoughtful and kind people.

If you want my opinion, ask me. And then file my opinion away with all the other things you mull over, and make your own decisions.

To be honest with you, I’m really enjoying this phase of my life – and our relationship – when I can think about other things besides your needs every minute of every day. I did that for years – I did the best I could – and I have to say I’m darn proud of the way you’ve all turned out.

Of course, I reserve the right to nag you at times – that is my reward for sleepless nights when you learned how to drive, and being humiliated by your antics in church.

Tune me out, if you need to. If I can learn it, so can you.

Just know that, at the end of the day – at the very end of days – I love you. I trust you. I believe in you. I like you.

Always have. And always will.

Reach! And reach with everything you’ve got.

[Via http://thatsananna.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment