Sunday, September 20, 2009

Watch out for that bucking lawnmower!!

Yesterday I finally got around to calling the local Lawnmower repairman. It has been quite a few weeks since my fatefull encounter with a tree stump that left me with a thrashing heart and a disabled lawnmower. So after phoning the kindly man , he sent a friend of his around to come collect the damaged thing.

Now, I know I live in “The Country ” now, and there has been much to get used to; but the sight of the rather elderly man getting out of the truck ,with a flatbed trailer attached, should have made me nervous right from the beginning. I watched patiently as he very slowly lowered the ramp of the trailer and mounted my lawnmower . After a few painstaking moments he got it started and began to slowly drive the mower up the ramp.

Just as he reached the top of his ascent, and I don’t know why, the crazy thing reared up like a young stallion and hung there just for a second  – suspended in time – and started to tilt over backwards. Everything else after that happened in slow motion, just like in the movies.

In a second I had taken in the whole situation: Old Man( face twisted in fear), Big Heavy Lawnmower, Sloped ramp, BIG PROBLEM!!  I knew instinctively that the Mower absolutely could not be allowed to fall, I did not want a tradgedy in front of my eyes! Somehow, I leapt up and managed to grab the the steering wheel ( which was facing high up into the sky) and pulled down. HARD.  As the front wheel made contact with the trailer again , I said : ” Lucky I’m a strong girl!”

With much relief , I then helped to manouever the mower into the trailer , without any further incident. Only a loudly thumping heart and silent prayers to those above for the averted disaster. I can only wonder how the mower cowboy felt. I did keep him around with Idle chit-chat for a quite a while longer as I monitored him for signs of possible heart attack ( seriously ). Had it been me on that mower I honestly think I would have had a heart attack , knowing that I was quite possibly about to be crushed , head first . Whew!

I wonder who unloaded the Bucking thing on arrival at its destination. I somehow doubt our Cowboy was rearing to get back in the saddle on that one!

Just another day in this life of mine , folks.

Stay safe everyone. Accidents happen when we least expect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment